A post I came across on White Hot Truth today reminded me of a Buddhist meditation called tonglen. I've practiced tonglen before, but was rekindled by Danielle's description and encouragement of the practice. My current area of focus is being present, and what's more enabling of present-making than a meditation practice? Perfect timing.
So the deal with Tonglen (if you haven't already linked over to White Hot Truth, which is fabulous, you should after reading this!) is that it is a meditation practice where you inhale pain and suffering and exhale goodness and compassion. Sounds odd from a "how can this possibly be good for me?"-perspective, doesn't it? But yet, when you try it, just try it...you will realize it actually doesn't hurt you. You learn that you can project any crazy good vibe you like...and likewise you can take any level of suffering just as much. Is this the whole point behind the practice? Perhaps it's a way to send positive energy into the world, thereby causing a better place?
Admitedly, I'm not sure, even after having read up on Pema Chodron's guiding explanations. I intend to try this more rigorously than I have in the past and report back on my findings.

No comments:
Post a Comment